- Owner: Ellicott Development
- Architect: Kideney Architects
- Engineer of Record: Tredo Engineer
- PCI-Certified Erector: Precast Services, Inc
- Project Cost: $75 Million
- Precast Cost: $8 Million
- Project Size: 382,000 ft2
- Precast Size: 138,000 ft2
500 Pearl Street Parking Garage
Perched up above a seemly 6-story precast podium parking garage stands a hotel and apartments that rely on the durability of precast to provide key functionality to the structure. While the garage is an open design for natural ventilation, the designers observe a balance using large wall panels with a square reveal to create the visual of sectioned windows on a standard building. Being able to factor in the finished material by augmenting another material elevated off the precast panels was a benefit to using precast concrete on this project to create the feel of a cohesive building and not a parking garage.
The precast columns stream down through the 380 car parking garage into the ground level to structurally support the garage as well as the steel structure placed above the garage. The structural capacity and durability precast brings are essential to the harsh weather climate that this structure will come into play with.
The first level of structural elements complements the functionality of the building ground level by acting as a ceiling that completely seals an operational facilities portion of the hotel and several retail/food services tenants. A waterproof sealant was applied to the structural elements on the first precast level to keep the moisture out.
Key Project Attributes
- Ability to incorporate design elements easily to the precast concrete once it was placed such as: metal screens, ground floor fenestration, and exterior lighting.
- The durable precast structure provides structural support for steel frame building above parking garage.
- Heavy acid etched finish on all exterior products.